Thursday, November 13, 2008

Perfume



Perfume - Such a sweet thing it is to own a bottle of perfume. It is my signature scent I say, oh yes it is all mine (well so I think anyway)! I have my perfumes placed beautifully on one round ceramic dish painted prettily with roses.

There sits:
1 bottle of Rose Absolue by Annick Goutal
1 bottle of Red Roses by Jo Malone &
1 bottle of Rose by L'Erbolario

A lady floated by the other day and I thought, my goodness my Mother must be near - the smell of Yves Saint Laurent's Opium is upon us! "What is that perfume you are wearing?", the lady replied, "Opium". I nodded and said, "Ahh my Mother's perfume".

Perfume is such a lovely invention, truly one of the most beautiful luxuries made for women. Able to evoke feeling as it awakens memories long forgotten - before such knowledge of the brain and the connections to smell, this must have appeared quite magical in days gone by!

I met a lady today that purchased a bottle of Diorissimo perfume to feel close to the memories of her Mother. As we spoke, she sprayed her wrist with the perfume and there it was, this beautiful joy that swept across her face! I felt the warmth of her connection and I was in awe of the power of scent, of perfume!

What is your favourite perfume - is it completely different to your Mother's?

"We all know persons who are affected for better or for worse by certain odors...Over and over again I have experienced the quieting influence of Rose scent upon a disturbed state of mind, feeling the troubled condition smoothing out before I realised that Roses were in the room, or near at hand"
- Louise Beebe Wilder -

3 comments:

Jan and Sue said...

I love this....my mother likes to wear any fragrance that has a musky base, she loves the one from the Body Shop - I get a bottle for her nearly every Christmas.

Suzanne Rowley said...

I can't wait to read your post on "things my mother taught me" re: dress sense, I adore your innate sense of style you always look so unique & set apart(in a good way).

Jan and Sue said...

Hey Sue,

You must stop by The Kiehl's Boutique in South Yarra - there you will discover THE most beautiful Original Musk EDT, body cleanser and lotion = Divine!!

xx Jan